Time to Complete
You will need:
- PVC pipe - 2 X 25cm long
- Pipe end - 2 X pipe ends
- Denim Fabric for bag
- Printed Fabric for lining
- Webbing – 2 X 75cm (for straps)
- Metrosene sewing thread
- Machine needle - Denim #90
- BERNINA presser foot #34 - Reverse-pattern foot with clear sole
- Base for the bag: Use the 2 pipe ends to draw a pattern. Add 1cm seam allowance. Cut 1 X denim
- Bag: Measure loosely around the base of the 2 pipe ends. The measurement used for the example is 62cm. The height is 32cm (bottle height).
- Cut 1 X denim: 64cm x 34cm
Cut 1 X printed fabric: 70cm x 34cm (6cm longer for top binding)
- Pocket: Cut 1 X printed fabric 18cm x 12cm
Mark pattern pieces
- Bag: Divide and mark the lower edge of the bag pattern piece, in quarters.
- Base: Mark the center of the width and length sides. On the edge of the pattern piece, mark the points where the straight edge starts and ends. Mark center back and center front (A)
Prepare the Pocket
- Finish off raw edges with the overlocker. Fold and iron a 1cm hem on both sides of the pocket. Fold and sew a 2cm hem on the upper edge.
- Place the pocket in position on the bag pattern piece on the marking, indicating the center of the lower edge of the bag pattern piece. Stitch the side edges to attach the pocket.
Sew the bag
- Sew the bag pattern piece into a tube, with a 1cm seam allowance.
- Sew the lining pattern piece into a tube, with a 1cm seam allowance.
- With right sides matching, sew the lining to the top edge of the bag, with a 2cm seam allowance.
- Fold the lining to the inside so that it forms a 2cm ‘binding’ over the edge of the bag.
- Sew the edge in position with topstitching.
- Sew the lining to the bag, with a 1cm seam allowance on the lower edge of the bag,
- Sew a stitching line around the base pattern piece: Set the machine needle position 1mm to the right and sew. Place and guide the fabric on the 1cm guide line on the stitch place. The 1mm needle position to the right will ensure that the stitching is not visible when the article is turned in-side out.
Sew the base of the bag in position
- With right sides matching, pin the base to the lower edge of the bag:
- Start by matching the side seam of the bag on one of the A markings on the base piece.
- Match the rest of the ¼ markings of bag to the center marking of width and length sides of the base.
- On the bag edge, where it has to fit around the curved edge of the base, clip into the edge, up to the stitching line. Pull and pin around the curve.
- Complete pinning all around the base
- Sew the base in position with a 1cm seam allowance. Do the stitching with the bag to the top and the base against the feed-dog of the machine.
- Use the overlocker to finish off the raw edges.
Sew the straps in position
- Put the edge of the strap 5cm from the top edge. Sew close to the edge of the strap with a straight stitch.
- Fold the strap to the top and sew in position with a huge ‘X’. Use the height compensating tool at the back of the foot. As the webbing can be fairly bulky, this tool ensures that the presser foot stays horizontal, and the feed of the work is not hindered, resulting in breaking of needles.
Turn to the right side and pack the wine
- Voila - a stunning gift in no time!